Thursday, April 14, 2011

PRAYER

God's been really dealing with me about prayer lately so I thought I'd share something that really hit home for me...

"The only enduring motive for prayer is that HE is worthy to be sought" Pastor Jim Cymbala (Brooklyn Tabernacle)

I get so caught up in my prayer to-do list, so to speak. While I do think the prayers of thanksgiving and the requests we offer up in faith are important, we pray simply because God is Lord. I love the humility of the author in this verse:

But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness. (Psalm 69:13)

It isn't so much about what we pray, but recognizing through the act of prayer that HE is faithful regardless of the outcome. It's learning to recognize His voice, getting to know Him...

I think another big obstacle for me is that I make prayer into this big production! Not really production, but just that I feel like I need a huge block of time devoted to be quiet and alone in order to pray. I forget that I have the opportunity to just have a conversation with God! Just as I can call my husband or my sister and tell them what's going on that day, or how I'm feeling, what I'm looking forward to, nervous about, etc... That relationship gives my the ability to just talk to God.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

No comments: